Who Needs a License?
All corporations, joint stock associations, and limited liability companies (LLCs) that offer engineering or land surveying services must have a certificate of authorization in Washington, except for professional service (PS) corporations and professional service limited liability companies (PLLCs).
How to Apply
- Your firm must register with the Washington Secretary of State (sos.wa.gov) to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number before we can issue your certificate of authorization.
- File a business license application from the Department of Revenue.
- You must include your UBI number on the application
- You need to use Google Chrome.
- You will need your UBI number and an electronic copy of your completed Designated Engineer/Land Surveyor Affidavit form.
- Log in or sign up to apply and pay your application fee.
- Complete the following forms
- Mail the completed application, supporting documents, and a check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124‑3777
Frequently Asked Questions
I work for a Canadian firm with several engineers licensed in Canada. Can we apply for a certificate of authority without having an engineer licensed in Washington State?
No, the designated engineer must be a licensed professional engineer in Washington.
How do I change the designated engineer or land surveyor for my firm?
Have the new designated engineer or land surveyor complete the Change of Designated Engineer/Land Surveyor form and send it in to our office.