Get Your Engineering or Land Surveying Firm Certificate of Authorization

Who Needs a License?

All corporations, joint stock associations, and limited liability companies (LLCs) that offer engineering or land surveying services must have a certificate of authorization in Washington, except for professional service (PS) corporations and professional service limited liability companies (PLLCs).

How to Apply

  1. Your firm must register with the Washington Secretary of State ( to get a Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number before we can issue your certificate of authorization.


  1. You need to use Google Chrome.
  2. You will need your UBI number and an electronic copy of your completed Designated Engineer/Land Surveyor Affidavit form.
  3. Log in or sign up  to apply and pay your application fee.

By Mail

  1. Complete the following forms
  2. Mail the completed application, supporting documents, and a check or money order for the fee (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:
Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124‑3777

Frequently Asked Questions

I work for a Canadian firm with several engineers licensed in Canada. Can we apply for a certificate of authority without having an engineer licensed in Washington State?
No, the designated engineer must be a licensed professional engineer in Washington.

How do I change the designated engineer or land surveyor for my firm?
Have the new designated engineer or land surveyor complete the Change of Designated Engineer/Land Surveyor form and send it in to our office.