Get Your Professional Engineer License by Exam or Comity

Licensing Requirements

To get your license, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Pass the EIT (Engineer-in-Training exam).
  • Pass the PE (Principles and Practices of Engineering exam).
    • If you took the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (EIT) or the Principles and Practices of Engineering exam (PE) in another state, go to NCEES to request a license or exam verification.
  • Have 8 years of professional-level experience under the direct supervision of a licensed engineer.
    • Education in an ABET-accredited program may count for up to 4 years of this experience.
      • Work experience gained between semesters or quarters or during summers while enrolled in an approved curriculum will be considered part of the educational process. No more than 1 year of experience will be granted for 1 calendar year.

If you've only passed the NCEES 16-hour lateral & vertical structural examination, you need to take and pass an additional 8-hour NCEES PE exam in another branch of engineering to get your PE license in Washington.

If you have an engineering degree from a foreign country:

  • Have your degree evaluated by NCEES Credentials Evaluations (, unless:
    • Your degree was accredited by ABET,
    • Your degree was accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB), or
    • You have a Masters degree from a school that has an ABET-accredited undergraduate program in the same discipline as the graduate degree.
      • If you have a Masters in Engineering, you must provide an English translation of your undergraduate transcripts with your evaluation.

Please see the NCEES website for information regarding specific engineering disciplines and exam dates

How to Apply

What You’ll Need

Experience Verification Options

Complete the Applicant portion of the Professional Engineering Experience and Verification  form for each experience you’re having verified and send it to the experience verifier. 

  • The verifier must complete their portion and return it to you in a sealed enveloped across the flap.  Don’t open the sealed envelope.  Or the verifier can email the form to but it must come directly from the verifier’s email address.

Official transcripts must be in an envelope sealed by the college or university, or emailed direct from the school.  Have them sent to:

Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
PO Box 9025
Olympia WA 98507-9025


  1. Prepare your documents for upload:
    • Electronic copy of your completed Engineer’s Law Review
  2. Login  or sign up to apply and pay your application fee. 
  3. Have any official transcripts or experience verification sent to:

Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
PO Box 9025
Olympia, WA 98507-9025

Email: (Email must be sent directly from the school)

By Mail

  1. Complete a Professional Engineer Registration Application, Professional Engineering Experience and Verifications, and Engineer Law Review
  2. Mail documents with a check or money order for the $65 fee for exam or $110 comity (payable to the Department of Licensing) to:

Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
Department of Licensing
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777

Related Information