Get Your Structural Engineer License by Exam

Things to Know

You are required to take and pass both the PE Structural breadth and depth portions of the NCEES exam. Visit the NCEES website for exam information.

If you are applying to take an NCEES exam only offered on specific dates, it’s urgent you complete your application and get approved. Pearson-Vue has reserved a block of seats at each test center for these exams, up to 60 days before the exam date. After that, seats may be limited, and you might not get a seat at a convenient location. Remember, NCEES 30-day deadline for applications to schedule the exam still applies, and the later you file, the more risk you won’t have a seat.

  • You must be licensed as a Washington Professional Engineer (PE)
  • Must have at least 2 years of progressive structural engineering experience, in addition to the 8 years’ experience required for registration as a professional engineer. 
  • All applicants must complete the experience descriptions and have your experience verified using our forms. NCEES records aren't accepted for structural engineer licensing.
  • Vertical Breadth and Lateral Breadth are given year round
  • Vertical Depth and Lateral Depth are twice per year, see NCEES for dates. Applications must be received by:
    • January 15th for the April exam administration
    • July 31st for the October exam administration

Application Requirements

How to Apply

Applying online? The SE application is treated as an endorsement to your existing PE license. When accessing our online service, ‘manage your existing professional license’ and click your license number to manage endorsements.

Apply Online

  • Login or Sign-up to apply and pay your application fee.
  • Access our service Board of Registration for Professional Engineers & Land Surveyors (BRPELS).

Apply by Mail

  • Mail documents with a check or money order to:

Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777