Engineer-in-Training Certificate

Taking the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam

If you have a bachelor’s degree or have achieved senior standing in an ABET accredited or CEAB accredited engineering curriculum, you may register for the exam at the NCEES website.

If you have a non-ABET accredited engineering degree from a foreign country, you must have your degree evaluated by NCEES Credentials Evaluations before applying for the exam. This evaluation is performed at your expense, and you're responsible for submitting information to NCEES.

If you have a bachelor’s degree in engineering that is accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB), an evaluation by NCEES is not necessary. 

  • If you have registered with NCEES with a CEAB please email the board office at  and include your NCEES ID number so we may release the hold.


Before you apply for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, you must have one of the following:

  • A bachelor's degree or senior in standing in an accredited engineering curriculum
    • Or CEAB (Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board)
  • 4 years of experience (education, work experience, or both)

How to get certified as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT)

To obtain a certification as an Engineer-In-Training in Washington you must first pass the Fundamentals of Engineers (FE) exam and submit a certification application to the board that shows you meet the requirements listed in WAC 196-20-007.

  • If you have already submitted the EIT registration application short form or the EIT long form, you do not need to submit a certification application request.

How to apply

If you want your education considered, request your school to submit official transcripts to NCEES.


Login or sign up to apply.  

  • You will be redirected to Secure Access Washington (SAW). 
  • Access our service Board of Registration for Professional Engineers & Land Surveyors (BRPELS). 

By Email

Complete an Engineer-in-Training Short Form Registration Application if applying with:

  • Bachelor's degree in engineering
  • Foreign degree evaluated by NCEES.
  • CEAB engineering degree
  • Engineering technology degree

Complete an Engineer-in-Training Registration Application Long Form if applying with:

Submit your application via email to: