Get Your Structural Engineer License by Comity

Things to Know 

You are required to take and pass both the PE Structural breadth and depth portions of the NCEES exam. Visit the NCEES website for exam information. 

  • You must be licensed as a Washington Professional Engineer (PE) 
  • Must have at least 2 years of progressive structural engineering experience, in addition to the 8 years’ experience required for registration as a professional engineer.   
  • All applicants must complete the experience descriptions and have their experience verified using our forms. NCEES records aren't accepted for structural engineer licensing. 
  • Pass the NCEES 16-hour Structural Exam (administered April 2011 through October 2023).
    • The NCEES SE I and SE II exams (taken prior to April 2011) do not meet the requirements for a structural license in Washington, unless you have also taken and passed a state specific SEIII examination. Please contact us if you've taken a state-specific structural exam.
    • If you've only passed the NCEES 16-hour lateral & vertical structural examination, you need to take and pass an additional 8-hour NCEES PE exam in another branch of engineering to get your PE license in Washington. 

Application Requirements  

How to Apply 

Applying online? The SE application is treated as an endorsement to your existing PE license. When accessing our online service, ‘manage your existing professional license and click your license number to manage endorsements.  


Apply Online

  • Login or Sign-up to apply and pay your application fee.
  • Access our service Board of Registration for Professional Engineers & Land Surveyors (BRPELS).

Apply by Mail

  • Mail documents with a check or money order to:

Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
PO Box 3777
Seattle, WA 98124-3777

For Veterans

U.S. Veterans may be eligible for partial reimbursements of costs. For more information: Education and Training | Licensing and Certification